Hello friends & retailers,
Thank you so much for adding my products to your store. I can’t tell you how much it means to me to have your support. When I started this business, I never could’ve dreamed that my products would be in brick and mortar stores like yours.
I’m a firm believer in partnerships over transactions, and I want to make sure my products are successful for you and your store. I’ve created this FAQ to help answer questions about my products, and am always happy to provide more information or collateral. I am here to brainstorm and support you on merchandising strategies, promotions and customer experience, too.
If you have additional questions, feedback or need more resources, please feel free to email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or text me for a more immediate response (732-659-0232).
Thank you again for your continued support & belief in me,
Ada - Founder, Chuan Skincare
Please note: This page is only accessible to retailers & wholesale accounts, and it’s meant to be a resource for you & your team members. Please do not share this page with your customers. You are welcome to give customers my email or ask them to DM me on Instagram.
How long does each product last?
All Chuan Skincare dry format products (Signature Clay Mask and Humble Powder Cleanser) have a recommended shelf life of 12 months, when stored in a cool and dry place. If a customer is practicing good hygiene (ie. not dipping their fingers or dirty spoons/brushes in the product), the shelf life may be safely extended to 18 months. I don’t recommend pre-mixing dry products, but if a customer has extra product left over after they’ve mixed their cleanser or mask, they can safely store it in the fridge for up to a week.
All Chuan Skincare facial oils (Acne Prone, All Skin Types, Luxe/Anti-Aging) have a recommended shelf life of 12 months, when stored in a cool and dry place. I recommend keeping the amber glass bottle in your vanity or bathroom cabinet, and closing the dropper top or pump (it has a twist lock) all the way between each use. Please do not leave this product out in the heat (above 90°F) or sunlight, as this will cause the oils to go rancid.
**For zero waste & refill shop retailers: if possible, I recommend using an amber, blue or green tinted glass or recycled PET container for facial oil refills. However, if a customer brings in a clear container, please advise them to store it away from sunlight to prevent the oils from going rancid prematurely.
All Chuan Skincare lotion bars have a recommended shelf life of 12 months, when stored in a cool and dry place. Please do not leave this product out in the heat (above 90°F) or sunlight, as it may cause the bar to melt. Melted bars can be resolidifed by popping them into the fridge, but they may form crystals (which affect the appearance, but not the usability of the product). Basically, don’t leave a lotion bar in your car when it’s hot!
How do I use this product?
Signature Clay Mask: I recommend using our Signature Clay Mask every 1-2 weeks as part of your regular skincare routine. Take a pinch of clay mask powder, mix it with water and apply a thin layer directly onto clean skin. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes, during which you should still be able to move your face. If you feel pulling or tugging on your skin, you’ve left it on for too long. Once dried, wash off with warm water, pat dry and apply moisturizer. For more detailed instructions, with photos, please see: https://chuanskincare.com/pages/signature-clay-mask-instructions.
Humble Powder Cleanser: I recommend using our Humble Powder Cleanser once daily as part of your regular skincare routine. Take a generous pinch of powder cleanser, mix it with water and apply the paste directly onto your skin. Use gentle upward motions to massage it onto your skin before washing off with warm water. Follow up with your preferred toner and moisturizer. For more detailed instructions, with photos, please see: https://chuanskincare.com/pages/powder-cleanser-instructions
Facial Oils: I recommend using our facial oils as a serum or or as a moisturizer:
- If you are using our facial oil as a serum, use your cleanser and toner first, before pumping the facial oil directly into your hand. Use your fingers to gently massage the serum into your skin with a gentle upwards motion. Follow up with the rest of your skincare routine.
If you are using our facial oil as a moisturizer, use your cleanser, toner and serums first, before pumping the facial oil directly into your hand. Add your daily or nighttime moisturizer to your hand and mix together before applying.
For more detailed instructions, please see: https://chuanskincare.com/pages/facial-oil-instructions
Lotion Bar: I recommend using our lotion bar on your body, after showering or bathing. Remove the cap and gently push the disc at the bottom of the tube until some product is sticking out at the top. Apply the lotion directly to your skin with small strokes or circles, then rub the product into your skin with your fingers. Be sure not to tug at your skin! You can also apply lotion to the back of your hand and use your fingers to apply it elsewhere.
What do I do with this packaging when I’m done?
All tins can be repurposed or safely recycled via curbside recycling. For repurposing and reuse ideas, please see this Instagram post on our blog.
All glass can be repurposed or safely recycled via curbside recycling. I recommend washing them out and refilling them with your favorite products! If you are doing curbside recycling, please make sure to remove all labels, separate the plastic pump or glass dropper (for facial oil bottles) and remove the liner from any jar lids (for glass jars). I am also open to taking back containers for reuse! I am still working on a credit system and collection logistics for this, and am aiming to have it go live in 2022.
All paper tubes are biodegradable and compostable, including the plant-based wax liner. Feel free to toss this tube in your home compost bin or bring it to your local compost facility.
**For zero waste & refill shop retailers: Your wholesale order included a $5 container deposit, per container. You will receive this deposit back as a refund or credit towards your next order when you return containers to me. Please make sure to return any lids or closures with the container, too! Containers include: Stasher bags, mason jars, amber glass jugs with pumps.
I run a zero waste or refill store, what containers can I use for refilling your products?
Signature Clay Mask & Humble Power Cleanser: I recommend using a clean container with a secure lid, like a tin or glass jar. The lid should close tightly, so the product doesn’t spill out accidentally.
Facial Oils: Due to the photosensitive nature of my facial oils, I recommend using amber, blue or green-tinted bottles for facial oil refills. I recommend using a bottle with a pump, which will minimize the product’s exposure to air - however, some customers prefer to use droppers, which is totally fine, too! You can use a clear container to refill facial oils, as long as the container is stored away from sunlight (eg. in a cabinet, vanity or bathroom mirror).
How many uses can I get out of each product?
These are my recommendations from experience and customer feedback. I always tend to estimate a little lower than actual, so customers have their expectations met and exceeded:
- Signature Clay Mask: 6 uses per ounce / 12 uses per 2 oz tin / 18 uses per 3 oz jar
- Humble Powder Cleanser: 1 month of daily use per ounce / 2-3 months of daily use per 2 oz tin or jar / 6-9 months of occasional use per 2 oz tin or jar
- Facial Oils: 3 months of daily use per 2 oz bottle
- Lotion Bar: 2 months of daily use per 2 oz bar
What allergens are in your products?
These are our complete ingredient lists:
- Signature Clay Mask: Bentonite clay, Moroccan red clay
- Humble Powder Cleanser: Organic Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Powder, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Powder, Honey Powder, Kaolin (White Clay), Matricaria Recutita (Chamomile) Flower Powder
- Facial Oil for Acne Prone Skin: Organic jojoba oil, organic almond oil, green tea leaves, rosemary essential oil, tea tree oil, lemon essential oil, lavender essential oil, rose hip oil
- Facial Oil for All Skin Types: Organic jojoba oil, organic almond oil, green tea leaves, rose hip oil, rosemary essential oil, lemon essential oil
- Facial Oil - Luxe, Anti-Aging Formula: Organic jojoba oil, organic grapeseed oil, green tea leaves, rose hip oil, lavender essential oil, lemon essential oil
- Lotion Bar: Organic Beeswax, organic shea butter, organic cocoa butter, organic coconut oil, organic sweet almond oil
Is it safe to use (product) on (body part)?
Chuan Skincare products are all natural, gentle and safe to use externally. Please avoid sensitive areas (eg. eyes, nose, lips) and always perform a patch test on your skin. If you have an adverse reaction, discontinue use immediately. Please do not ingest or swallow our skincare products.
Can I use this with (xyz product)? Can I use this instead of (xyz product)?
Generally, the answer to this is yes. All of our products are natural, gentle and effective formulations. We embrace progress over perfection, so we recognize that even if a customer is using one or a few of our products, they may still have some conventional skincare products in their routine and this is where these types of questions come up. The most frequently mentioned ingredients and products are:
Can I use this if I use retinol or a retinoid cream? Yes, our products are safe to use in conjunction with retinol or retinoid products you may be using. However, with retinol usage, your skin may become more sensitive, especially to exfoliation. We recommend patch testing first, or easing up on your exfoliation routine when using our products in conjunction with retinol/retinoid products. Also, don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Can I use this facial oil instead of my night moisturizer? We suggest using this facial oil with other gentle moisturizers, like lotion or gel-based moisturizers, in order to create a complete moisturizing strategy to support your skincare routine. A complete moisturizing strategy will ensure that your skin is benefitting from the 3 categories of moisturizer ingredients: humectants, emollients and occlusives. Our facial oils are emollients, meaning they fill in the gaps in your skin barrier and make your skin feel smooth and soft. In addition to emollients, your skin also needs humectants to help maintain and increase your skin’s water content, and occulsives to seal moisture in. Finding a moisturizing routine that works for you and contains all 3 categories of ingredients will keep your skin healthy and happy.
- Can I use this if I use an acid peel? Yes, our products are safe to use in conjunction with acid peels and other chemical exfoliants. We recommend alternating or finding a balance between different types of exfoliation that work for you and your skin.
Do you sell (product)?
I’m working on a few formulas that will be out in 2022! Stay tuned for my cleansing oil and toner formulas. Both of these products were suggestions from existing customers, so if you have any other requests or suggestions, send them my way!
You say 5% of sales go to social justice organizations, who are those organizations?
Yes, as part of our DEI policy, 5% of all sales (retail and wholesale) and 100% of tips go to social justice organizations. Past donations have gone to:
- Social Justice Sewing Academy (Jan - Mar 2021)
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Atlanta (Apr - Jun 2021)
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (Jul - Sep 2021)
- Asian Pacific Environmental Network (Oct - Dec 2021)
Learn more about our DEI policy: https://chuanskincare.com/pages/dei-policy
How do you identify?
Ada identifies as a second generation Taiwanese American woman from New Jersey and uses she/her pronouns.